We are seeking the heart of our office, an operations and office manager. In addition to impeccable communication skills, discretion and financial acumen, you have a sense of humor, and must be able to gracefully manage multiple work streams with tight deadlines.
You will help create a positive office environment and efficient company performance by overseeing HR, finance, legal and facilities to ensure smooth day-to-day working. As Operations Manager, we expect you to work independently and proactively. Additionally, we expect you to take a leadership role in the office, partnering with the principals and project teams, serving as a link between staff and principals when necessary, and helping the firm and individuals achieve success. Ideally, you have 5-7 years office/financial management experience.
Primary responsibilities include:
Finance: Handle the billing and financial analysis, maintain and monitor cash flow, financial scorecards, and project profitability analysis, interface with the accountant as necessary, make recommendations to improve bottom-line fiscal performance. Manage part-time bookkeeper and/or office assistant. This also includes:
- Bookkeeping: ensure QuickBooks is maintained properly (be the FC bookkeeper), maintain accounts payable, track hours/expenses against individual jobs as required; payroll, manage bank balances across accounts to ensure smooth cash flow; reconcile all bank statements and credit card bills; make bank & 401k deposits as well as cash management in bank accounts. Supervise a part time bookkeeper for AP.
- Invoicing & Accounts Receivable: prepare all invoicing and monitor accounts receivable and cash flow projections, follow up on overdue invoices; liaison with clients to ensure POs and signed contracts are in order; document and maintain individual client billing preferences and implement them.
Human Resources: prepare offer letters and onboarding paperwork, onboard new employees and conduct exit interviews, draft and distribute employment documents; with our vendors and partners, manage and assess benefits, including: health insurance, 401k, transit check, etc.; Maintain confidential office personnel files, vacation/sick/personal time for employees, salary history, time tracking, employee handbook, and other employment documentation; ensure compliance with local and state laws.
Facilities & Systems: filing (paper and digital); monitor, support and recommend enhancements for office systems in collaboration with IT including email, Slack, time tracking and other systems that help the office run smoothly; maintain phones & voicemail system; oversee office maintenance and compliance; keep the kitchen, supply closet, storeroom, etc. stocked, organized and neat; liaison with the building as necessary.
Legal & Administrative: liaison with the insurance agent to ensure certificates are up to date and provided as required to clients; maintain office records for vendor, client and job files including: job numbers, contractor agreements, vendor files and records; client agreements (including master agreements, project agreements, non-disclosure agreements, etc.) ensure all client/project documentation is in order, review contracts to flag issues for escalation, liaison with legal partners as necessary.
Align, Communicate & Coordinate: align with partner goals for the business and be an enthusiastic and vocal supporter; keep partners informed on a weekly, monthly and quarterly basis for financial reports as defined together, as well as ad hoc reports as needed; accountable for documenting and maintaining S.O.P.s, other special projects to ensure the smooth functioning of the office and project teams.
Work will be hybrid, a little looser this summer and then ~4 days or so in the office in the fall (in NYC). Salary commensurate with experience.
- 5-7 years in an office or operations management role, preferably at a small business
- Expert organizational skills with an insane attention to detail
- A self starter who is proactive
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Full Charge Bookkeeper: you are a Quickbooks master (we don’t use QB online, you’ll know why)
- You know your way around Microsoft Office, have competent Excel skills and understand One Drive and can get things done with slack. We are a Mac-based group.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Reside in the New York metropolitan area, ability to work on site
- Covid-19 vaccinated