UX: Help the Kids In Crisis website better support their mission.

Once the strategy was in place, we went to work on the Kids In Crisis web presence.

The old website was not working for KIC: it didn’t support their mission, fundraising needs or even operations. In fact, before we could finish our assessment, the site failed.

With a temporary page in place, we knew we needed to step back and assess who the site visitors were, what they were looking for and what Kids In Crisis needed them to know. Since there were no analytics, we talked to the team and made educated assumptions. (And, we put an analytics plan in place for the new site.) Through sitemaps and wireframes, we began the process of helping translate the strategy into reality. The planning will meet up with visual design in the next step.